Monday, January 25, 2010

Pass the Recently Killed Fish

What makes sushi different here than in Canada or France (those being the only places I've eaten sushi besides here) is that you are overwhelmed by the variety. Simply put, the most simple sushi place here will have maybe 45 different sushi dishes. That's not including Maki rolls.

Yes, I have eaten Fugo (Blowfish) and yes it is poisonous and no, they did not send me to the hospital. I went there all on my own.

For those who don't know (I myself didn't know until recently) Maki is not sushi. Maki is seaweed rolled with rice and other stuff inside. The stuff can vary. In the picture here you can see some cheese Maki, made with Philadelphia Cream Cheese. They're my favourite.

Sushi is just fish on rice. Sometimes they put eggplant or beef but that's uncommon. Sashimi is just the fish with no rice.

If you know all this already I apologize but some people (like me) have confused all this stuff for years into the general category of Sushi.

Still not sure why April O'Neal got grossed out at the thought of sushi when Master Splinter offered it to her. It was probably way better for you than the weird Pizza that the Ninja Turtles were eating. Then again, now that I think about it, how Master Splinter got a hold of the fresh fish to make sushi down in the New York sewers presents a lot of sanitation issues. Maybe the pizza was safer.

The other big difference here is that the fish is super fresh. All of it is caught off the coast of Tokyo so the fish you eat is no more then a day old. Usually caught, sold and brought in the same day. As for taste it varies depending on the place. Salmon can taste really good but then again, Canadian Salmon can taste better.








The point that makes it all worthwhile it is that it's easily available.

Here is our favourite sushi place. Each plate is about $1.50 Canadian dollars. And you can make requests.

Free tea too!

The same kind of thing in Tokyo is about $4.00 a plate.



3 comments:

  1. Mmm, it looks so good I want to go get some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is the thing like a squid but like it has 8 eyeballs that i was eating?

    ReplyDelete
  3. IMHO: the video of sushi should have been much longer - would be nice to see more types of stuff rolling by. (would be cool to video the pizza guys cooking too!)

    ReplyDelete