Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Important things we forget

I haven't answered the question of why I came to Japan. The reason is it’s difficult to explain and all this time I've been thinking about how best to approach writing about it. When I talk to people here or back home and this question comes up in small talk, I've given many different, socially acceptable reasons of why I came here, such as the culture, travelling, or even making money. All these things may be true but the real reason needs to be a much deeper explanation and exploration. I'm not sure if my reasons are a reflection of my personality, my maturity or if I am discovering something that most people want to ignore. Maybe the problem lies culturally. Perhaps it’s a combination.

I've tried to remain confident of my reasons but to be honest they have been mixed in with all forms of misdirection that have influenced my life and probably still continue to influence it. This is the first real issue I want to explore, the idea of being misdirected by things that have no value. Yes, advertisement attacks us all every day but that’s kind of a side issue that’s relevant everywhere I think. What I’m talking about is about elements that influence you by choice.

I want to be honest with myself, try to find what's important to me and truly discover who I am and what I should do with my life. I try to gauge based on the many different models I see around me every day but somehow it doesn't seem enough for me or I don’t wish for that kind of life. Those who know me know that I can be a very cynical person and see the downsides of most things. I have a friend who says I will never be happy because of this. Yet, I'm not sure this is why I haven't been content with my direction in life. I'm sure this is one of the influences but I realize now that there is a lot more going on and for some reason Japan seems to be the place where I can really think about what truly influences me and how can I choose what things I accept and what things I want to expel from my life.

Let me try to emphasis where I'm going with this line of thought. I look around and see what drives people day to day and I've noticed many issues that seem to affect me as well. I hope that, through this creative brainstorming, I can change or at least become more aware of these issues. I can’t possibly go into all the details at this time and I’ll come back with some more thoughts later.

I have been noticing that it’s difficult for people to see how their actions influence others; it’s a safety mechanism. It’s far less anxiety-provoking if you concentrate on how you feel and what you need rather than really notice what others are going though. Saying or doing the wrong thing may upset someone but it’s far easier to not notice or tune it out. To add to the fact, if people are bothered by the actions of others, the tendency today is to be non-confrontational. The idea is to ignore it and move on. To stand up and say "hey please don't say/do that it bothers me" is aggressive and unpleasant and thus avoided. If you do want to express concern over your actions and inquire if what you said was unsettling, this is seen as a sign that you're insecure. Thus, the tendency today is to ignore the things/people that bother us and not be concerned that we are bothering others. Just smile and keep things pleasant regardless. This type of thinking makes even the most difficult people tolerable.

I know it appears that things are easier this way and it gives the sense of control but the truth is it feels like a lie. I know some of you are thinking that I just don't know the right people and I need to explore alternatives and this may be true. But, I also see it on television and in the general way that people seem to be acting. People are becoming more focused on themselves and in the wrong way. I don’t like this trend and I want to bring awareness about how actions do influence others. But more importantly, I realised that I cannot live in this passive way.

This issue has always upset me and the advice I've been given is to focus my attention elsewhere. This of course has helped and today it doesn’t bring the anxiety it once did but I now realize that this issue is not synonymous with all people of all cultures. (At this point I may get a little touchy but stay with me for a minute.) I see it more as how North Americans act and this is the overall direction that most other cultures are going as well: being anti-social. By anti-social, I don't mean not socializing; people certainly do that. I mean talking about themselves and actually being interested in the well-being of others. For the most part, people like to talk about pop culture or stories about their lives, but never about their own beliefs or ideas or desires. If I were to guess, most simply don’t know enough about themselves to confidently talk about these things or maybe they’re too insecure to voice what they think. In North America, it’s promoted that one should suppress these types of feelings and ideas in order to be manlier or appear more confident/secure, or not appear like a sissy or something like that.

These issues bothered me when I lived in Canada and the States but I could never understand fully how or why. Being raised in an Eastern European household certainly helped me understand that the issue existed but I think I was too young to understand the problem. It came about simply because the value system in my household was very different from the ones I saw on television or in school. I began exploring this line of thought when I moved to France but even living overseas it was very difficult to fully understand the depths of why people behaved in this way because it was present there too but not as strong as in North America. At the time I believed it to be the current trend or maybe even human nature but I now realise it’s a choice.

There was a strong difference in France. The problem was less severe and this was manifested by the kind of things that I would hear most people talk about and the kind of questions that were asked, plus the attention given on birthdays and other celebrations. I found that the topic of conversation was typically not about pop culture. I'm not saying that we always sat around making intellectual conversation all the time. Trust me that was not the case. Simply, personal opinions and beliefs were more present in the conversations and it happened consistently enough for me to notice. The truth is, it has nothing to do with the people I conversed with or the parties I went to, it has far more to do with the overall value system of European people. The fact is pop culture is not that important in other countries since A LOT of it is American and they are not simply not that interested in it. Sure, the French and the Japanese have their own pop culture, but it doesn't have this sensation of flooding the market all the time and bombarding people every day. People that I talk to here in Japan don't really talk about what's new in the theatre or what new games are out or how Jack Bauer is awesome. To be honest, most Japanese people I talk to don’t watch much TV or know what’s hot in music.

The issue of the overwhelming pop culture in North America is directly tied into how people treat others and their growing anti-social behaviour. The most obvious example is how addicted we are to our MP3's. I remember in university, as soon as class was over 1/4 of the people would just plug into their little world. Today, it’s more like 1/2. With the invention of online gaming, people don't have to play games with others beside them anymore. I found that, when I talk to a stranger, the first look I get is that of confusion and surprise. Talking to a girl on the street, I get the look of "who are you, are you going to touch me? I'm not interested, and why is this happening now I'm busy". When I talk to guys, I got the look of "I'm not gay, I don't want a new friend, why is this happening now, and I’m in a rush”. I know I'm not the most charming person in the world but I honestly don't get that feeling when I talk to a stranger here. (For an example look at my last post) I know people say that it’s the city life but I think it has to do with how self-conscious people are, how inexperienced they are becoming at talking with others and how self-focused most people’s lives are.

Bottom line: I find people don’t spend enough time thinking about their lives, talking with others about their hopes and dreams and consciously trying to make themselves better people. I think most people don’t spend enough time even thinking about these issues themselves. They rely on others to influence their choices spending their time doing unproductive activities that, in essence, are anti-social, like watching TV or reading fiction.

To make my point in a different way, let’s talk about how much time you spend on pop culture. There are 168 hours in a week. Take away the time that you are actually doing your job and cannot focus on anything else but that. Take away the time that you sleep/eat/shower, etc. What do you have left? Only your spare time is left. I know some of you are thinking “I don't have much of that because of A, B, C” but people can't stay alive if they only have work and sleep so I don’t believe you. Out of this spare time, how much of that is spent on TV, reading fiction, Internet, games and all kinds of other distractions? By distractions, I mean things that waste time and do not generate anything that you can gage as changing or developing or most importantly knowing yourself. What did you last read or do that you can really see a difference in how you were then and how you are now? What skills have you developed in the last year? I know some people will say that they need their relax time and can't afford to concentrate more than they already do but honestly think about it. If you’re just wasting your time between your actual responsibilities, what makes you an interesting person to talk to or for that matter what gives you the skills to talk to others? More importantly, how can you find true happiness living this way?

I truly believe that the reason divorce rates are climbing is because people don’t know a thing about themselves, get married and are quickly frustrated when they realise that they are not compatible with their spouse. They don’t know enough about themselves to know what they want simply because they spend all their spare time thinking about how Batman will get out of this jam.

Anyone who knows me can stand back and say that I was the biggest geek when it came to pop culture and in many ways I still am. I used to spend so much time watching TV or movies or reading comic books or listening to music. I was on-top of everything that was coming out in the entertainment industry until I got severed from that lifestyle. In France, I tried to keep up with it but it was harder and more expensive than in Canada and I found myself doing other things or at least thinking about other things. When I came back to Canada it was really easy to slip back into that lifestyle, just because it was the norm. Here in Japan, it’s even harder to do those things since I can just tune out everything that I don't understand. Once more, it’s not about me, it’s about the lifestyle that exists outside of North America. If I wanted to and knew the language, it would be far more difficult to upkeep this type of lifestyle outside of North America. I’m not sure if it has to do with countries having a longer history or cultural heritage; maybe they simply can’t produce as large a pop culture as America.

I have many ideas of why things are like this in North America. That is a long explanation that dives into politics and historical reasons but the important idea that I’m trying to say it you don’t need to do it. You are not some kind of outcast if you stop spending all your spare time on these unimportant shows or books. If you stopped watching TV, it would do more for your life then I can possibly explain to you.

Being in a place that doesn’t bombard me with the constant need to do these kind of things is one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had. Today, I’m finding it harder to sit and passively watch programming (think about the word). I know all these things are fun, and I am having a hard time dealing with this notion myself but cutting a great deal of this stuff from my life has changed how I see everything and the world around me. Most importantly, it is helping me discover what I value in my life and what could possibly make me happy. I know today that knowing all the events in Star Wars or seeing all the episodes of 24 is not important. Yes it’s fun but is it important? When was the last time you did something important?

People are too caught up with their own lives day to day. I find that they don’t look back at the events that add up to who they are. It’s difficult to think about one’s own future. The lifestyle I see most people live is one of reacting to yesterday and thinking about tomorrow. This is limited. I’m not saying that I’ve mastered anything that I’ve written today, but I am expressing the need to understand this problem not only to help myself but to really understand how a person can know themselves and truly be happy. I only think this can be done with consistent reflection on productive matters, to really see improvement. For example if you paint, exercise or cook, you can see the difference. Not fearing failure is the first step. To do something productive means that you can fail at it. But it also means that you can learn from your mistakes and get better at it. Every failed attempt is really a step forward because you learned how not to do it.

Everything that I mention here is equally relevant to Japanese people. I think it’s a growing problem of the modern world perhaps because of the strong influence of American pop culture or perhaps it’s the digital age.

Travelling to different cultures gave me this opportunity to compare and contrast and begin to explore what is best for me. One of the reasons I came to Japan was I truly believed that a more Eastern outlook on life could help bring all these things into perspective. I wanted to see what they valued and I know now it’s not based in pop culture. I can now understand that the potential for happiness is possible when a person challenges themselves to do something and share that accomplishment with others rather than watch life pass you by and live with regrets.
I believe that the discipline necessary to move on from this point will be a turning point in my life.

16 comments:

  1. If you made it all the way here. Leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So guilty, so so guilty...
    Oddly enough no witty jokes or phrases this time around. Just some quite meditation on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I can see why you were excited about this one.

    So I actually cannot say much except that I agree with everything - and I feel like this is like a HUGE follow-up to a discussion we once had in Dairy Queen when you came to visit Ottawa from France. It's really developed and there's more and I like it.

    So, I'm actually amazed how I've gravitated to your way of thinking but not thinking about it. Like I stopped watching TV to save money on cable... but a year later, I don't have patience to watch TV for long without getting bored.

    So the only thing that I potentially disagreed with was this:

    "...In North America, it’s promoted that one should suppress these types of feelings and ideas in order to be manlier or appear more confident/secure, or not appear like a sissy or something like that."
    Ok so maybe this is the male perspective.. because I never felt like I need to suppress and be manly. But I do not talk about all of this stuff because I KNOW no one gives a crap. People will be bored and uncomfortable if I say anything like: you know..

    Okay bye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Mikey, I'm impressed and elated to see that you've made great steps in your quest to make yourself a better, or more complete person. The subject matter here tugs at the fabric of North American society. People are becoming more and more cut-off from their own lives, kind of going through the motions so to speak. Which is slightly odd, considering that there's more and more people in the World. Emotionally speaking, people have clamored to a thought process which divides us each into our own little islands...

    It's almost a wonder that people can still find each other, and make an emotional connection of any sort, be it based on friendship or based on something more.

    Good post Mikey, I look forward to reading more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike, Mike, Mike ... it has been too long that I have stayed out of your mental affairs, and I gravely fear you have truly gone over the precipice. I am thankful that friends have pointed out your blog to me, and have suggested I offer some painful advice. Look at your life, Mike. You spent the bulk of your formative years starring into pictures of Stalin, Mao and the nightmarish creatures you covered your walls with. Your youth has led you to megalomaniacal gestalts and sadly you have drowned out your sense of the rational. You have travelled the world looking for what has led you astray and your seeming answer is everything but yourself. I mean this not as an attack, Mike, but I know you respect my opinion and sadly I am the one to offer the harsh news. The issue which perturbs you so greatly arises from within you, not without. Frankly, your non linear thinking is hard to respond to, but I will do my best to comment and assist you in this journey of self realisation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First and foremost, you have many a misconception of the world around you. My friend, you know little of the greatness and suffering life has to offer, you have been through neither, and there are far too many misconceptions written in this blog to correct them all. You speak of value in life. You speak of it as though you are inseparable from it, even though you throw in the occasional qualifier that you don’t. What do you know of Value? What do you know of life? There is no abject meaning to the existence of anything, at least nothing that can be comprehended by the human mind. More importantly, who are you to judge? No human alive has the genuine capacity to gauge what is correct and incorrect behaviour; we are animals, like sharks and lambs and monkeys and squirrels. Can any being alive say conclusively what the behaviour of a squirrel actually is? No, of course not; all we can do is observe behaviour and say that we have seen such behaviours as having occurred. Permit me to give an example. Imagine a person who spends $200 a week buying lottery tickets. Is that person foolish or are they wise? Are they wasting their money? Are they getting value from it? You can’t say. Maybe they’ll win a fortune, and to them that will justify it; then again, maybe they won’t. I cannot predict the future, so who am I to say? I can’t. Only god can, and god generally keeps that kind of stuff to herself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You say that “pop culture” is the definitive time waster and value reducer of North America and that it is not pervasive in other cultures. Of course it is like that! What we call “pop culture” in North America is the result of the cultural melting pot that is the new world and it is what has risen as the binding nature of this conglomeration of people. Other cultures clearly have their own binding forces, hence why we label them as other cultures. “Pop culture” is our culture; perfect it may not be, but it is the binding force that brings people together and causes discussion in our society. Think of when Janet Jackson had the infamous nipple slip at the Super Bowl (the Super Bowl clearly being a major North American cultural event). Our “pop culture” brought about discussion as to what is appropriate and what is not. Is a nipple more dangerous or damaging as two teams of armoured warriors attempting to destroy their opposition? Is this kind of questioning not of value to both the individual and society? Is this not the kind of thing which causes people to think about life and how it should be lived?

    ReplyDelete
  8. “To stand up and say "hey please don't say/do that it bothers me" is aggressive and unpleasant and thus avoided.” Your words Mike are very true, but you fail to interpret this as the result of a Judaeo-Christian value system where we treat people as we wish to be treated. If I find something as a minor annoyance, it is better for me to overlook it as I would want others to overlook the minor annoyances I may cause them. To question it implies you don’t agree with the concept, and others are averse to speaking of it as it makes one assume that if they do, they are a jerk; and they would be right. If simple answers existed to solve such things, planetary happiness and world peace would already exist, but the reality is that we are each of our own mind and must follow certain rules to interact with others and make our civilization work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. “I have been noticing that it’s difficult for people to see how their actions influence others; it’s a safety mechanism. It’s far less anxiety-provoking if you concentrate on how you feel and what you need rather than really notice what others are going though.” A long time ago, Duff gave me a book that introduced me to the concept of the fallacy of central positioning. Briefly, it implies that we are all the center of our own universe, as that is the only way we can perceive it; from our, individual, point of view. To view it from any other perspective would give rise to people sacrificing all of what is them to others, and then they would destroy themselves with no benefit to themselves. They would only end up benefiting that which they saw as their perspective, which would not be themself. If we do not benefit ourselves, what is the point, let alone the manner, of existing? More importantly, how would they manage to continue to exist, if they didn’t see themselves as important to existence? I could say a lot more on this but I will lay off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I am being rather harsh. But one must tear down the previous wall if they plan to build a new one. It is all a matter of perspective, Mike. I work in a funeral home and every day I see people going through the tragedies of life. Yet, regardless of the loss of a loved one, many people can find strength, purpose, and even happiness from such a dark and troubling situation. It all comes down to our own unique perspective. To be blunt, on some hard to understand subconscious level, we make a choice. We make a choice to learn to be happy and satisfied, or we learn to be depressed and forlorn. Many are not even aware they have made the choice. You are at the fork in the road Mike. You have a choice. You cannot fundamentally understand the world around you, no one can. All you can do is learn how to perceive it. I worry for you, Mike, as it seems you are leaning to the dark and depressing side of perception. It is your mind, and you choose how to perceive things. If you look for the good, it will be there. If you convince yourself you are happy you will be. If you see only darkness, there will only be the dark. If you think life overwhelming, you will be overwhelmed. If you think life is good, life will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stop preaching. Stop judging others. Stop giving opinions about things that should not worry you and are not your business. Stop writing blogs where you hope others will read what you say and validate you. You are not god Mike, and frankly no one wants you to be. Stop searching for answers that you already have. Just learn to be happy, and success and contentment will come in time. You can validate yourself, Mike. Learn to, and you may not find yourself so lost anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who would be so arrogant as to write all these things attacking me personally and intellectually but not leave their name? I've concluded its someone who knows me and knows my closest friends yet is too cowardly to criticize me openly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Saying or doing the wrong thing may upset someone but it’s far easier to not notice or tune it out. To add to the fact, if people are bothered by the actions of others, the tendency today is to be non-confrontational. The idea is to ignore it and move on. To stand up and say "hey please don't say/do that it bothers me" is aggressive and unpleasant and thus avoided. If you do want to express concern over your actions and inquire if what you said was unsettling, this is seen as a sign that you're insecure. Thus, the tendency today is to ignore the things/people that bother us and not be concerned that we are bothering others."

    Is this not an invitation to criticize, Mike? You say it is a shame, do you not, that we do not feel comfortable giving criticism? Yet, you call it cowardly in your comment. Sadly Mike, you have proved my point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, the coward speaks again. First of all, it’s not your criticism that I find cowardly. In fact, I welcome creative criticism when it’s constructive. I like to see myself as constantly learning and am always interested in views that counter my own if their interesting. This way I can improve (Kind of the theme of my posting that one should want to improve). The way you write makes me think you should read my post again because now you’ve proven to be the perfect example of what I was talking about. What I find sad is that somehow you believe that you have proven something or have one up on me.

    Perhaps you need it explained to you.

    The deeper meaning is about CONFRONTATION and the reciprocity that comes with it. The point I made was that people avoid confrontation and in a sense that`s what you’re doing when you don’t leave your name. You fear the reciprocity that comes with your opinions (incidentally I would have loved to respond to them but instead were doing this). At the top of this page is my name and I write everything thing here with everyone having full knowledge of who I am. This means I’m liable for what I say. It’s not important to me that everyone agrees with me, it’s out there if anyone wants to read it. Nonetheless, I get respect for expressing my thoughts openly even if the reader disagrees. But, I cannot take your views into consideration simply because I don’t know who you are and for this I cannot give you any respect nor can any of my readers.

    I refer to you as a coward simply because of your fear. To do otherwise would make you liable to the people around you, some of them, apparently, friends of mine. No one has ever openly confronted me in the manner that you have and since you know me, this includes you. All this makes me believe that you lie a lot to yourself and others by never revealing who you are and that`s sad. So, of course you are a coward! I would happily say anything I write here to anyone`s face. I am proud of who I am. Could you do the same? Clearly not.

    It’s easy to sit in a private room away from the scrutiny of others and pretend that your opinion matters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Huh...

    Anyway, Mikey, I want to expand on this topic someday - but in a face-to-face discussion.

    Because I've been thinking, whether or not this applies to just our generation.. you know? And also, do we reflect a demographic? Can we say what is happening in our circle (or your circle and mine cos they are separate) is reflective to Canada/US?

    I think... some cultures are not like this, and North America is heavily immigrant still.. I think.

    But anyway, random thoughts. Chat about it maybe later.....

    I have had another idea, wanted to share. It's about organic politics... basically thinkings happening naturally without a given leader. Like Graffiti, a natural rebelious art-form, that is not ruled or govenerned by anyone (I think?) Sometimes I think there are subtler forces in nature and therefore in society, that may influence to negative and positive. OKAY, I gotta stop talking cos I think too much and can go on forever. SO YA!! LATER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. *thinkings happening=things happening

    ReplyDelete